The Young Australians’ Cancer Initiative (YACI) is pleased to announce that the High School Cancer Symposium (HSCS) will be running in person in 2022 and we warmly encourage all interested year 9, 10, and 11 students from NSW schools to participate!
The NSW HSCS follows in the footsteps of the highly popular and successful Victorian High School Cancer Symposium, which over 400 Year 10 students have attended since 2016. As one of Australia’s premiere science events for high school students in NSW to learn about cancer and medical research, the 2022 HSCS:
- Showcases the “bench to bedside” process of cancer research, therapy, and the broader impacts of the disease;
- Provides a rare opportunity for students to experience life as a cancer researcher; and
- Connects high school students with the research community.
- Date: Friday November 18
- Time: 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM (Registration opens 8:45)
- Venue: Westmead Institute for Medical Research
Registration for the 2022 Symposium opens 9:00 am Friday 9th September and closes 11:59 pm on Friday 30th September 2022. Registration will be initially limited to 10 students per school and there are a total 70 student spots available. As such, we encourage interested students and schools to register ASAP to avoid on missing out.
Please note: to register successfully, staff and students must complete the media release form.
2022 Symposium program
The 2022 HSCS program includes:
- Keynote presentations from 3 senior researchers at Westmead;
- Tours of working laboratory spaces at the Westmead Institute of Medical Research;
- A workshop with volunteers from Cancer Voices where students can explore the experiences of cancer patients;
- A hands-on pathology workshop where students will be guided through the viewing of cancer tissue specimens on a light microscope;
- A research workshop to introduce students to career pathways into cancer and health sciences research.
Keynote speaker – Prof. Ana deFazio
Prof. Ana deFazio is the Sydney West Chair in Translational Cancer Research in obstetrics, gynaecology, and neonatology at the Westmead Clinical School and the Westmead Institute for Medical Research.
Keynote speaker – Dr. Dinny Graham
Dr. Dinny Graham is a Senior Research Fellow at the Westmead Institute for Medical Research.
Media Release Form
2019 NSW ACHSC Terms and Conditions
2019 NSW ACHSC Student Information Pack
2019 NSW ACHSC Teacher Information Pack
For any other questions, please contact info (at) yaci.org.au.